A notary public is legally authorized by the government to sign official statements and documents. The most important duty of a notary public is to ensure every document they sign is authentic to prevent fraud and protect the document signer’s integrity.
In the state of Louisiana, notaries public have broad powers to execute and draft different types of documents that have a legal effect. There are many instances when a notary public’s work is required. They are authorized to make inventories, matrimonial contracts, appraisements, conveyances, wills, protests, partitions, and other written documents.
What can a notary do?
These are the most common documents and situations where a notary public can help:
- General notarizations.
- General power of attorney where they act on your behalf.
- Limited power of attorney where they are only given specific powers.
- Provisional custody by mandate where parents give another adult authorization to provide care, control, and custody of their minor child.
- Simple wills.
- Affidavits, which are statements that are sworn to before an officer with the authority to administer an oath.
- Certified/true copies, which are copies of an original document with a notary’s signature that provides validity.
- Unlimited notary contracts.
Why hire a notary public
Here are some of the reasons you should hire a notary public for your legal needs:
- Fraud prevention. One of the best ways to ensure that there are no fraudulent activities during the signing of a document is to have a notary public witness and attest to the event. They will oversee the signature, ask the signers to prove their identities before signing and make sure the document is original.
- Ease of contract. Entering a contract without being sure if it’s completely legal and authentic can lead to legal implications. You can avoid that if you have a notary public who ensures you can enter a contract safely.
- Availability. There are many notaries public in Louisiana. In other words, it’s a very popular and sought-after profession, so you won’t have any issues finding a notary public for any of your legal needs.
How we can help?
Here at Trieu Law, you can hire an attorney who offers complete notarial services in the state of Louisiana. An experienced notary public who will come to your location and provide you with the services you need is just a phone call or an email away.